Saturday

Assignment 10A...

This is a written response to "FREAK FACTOR", an article by David Rendall that be found on Change This. (To go to Change This, simply click on the words "freak factor"above).

In David Rendall's "Freak Factor" he details nine suggestions for creative individuals. In general, I believe that Rendall has good suggestions, but his attempts at being quirky with his logic and wording get in the way of the main message behind each point.
Below, I have detailed the three of Rendall's suggestions which I believe were the strongest/best for creative individuals.

1. "Whats Your Problem"...
I believe the tagline for this idea, written by George Eliot, is almost stronger than the idea itself. The tagline reads: "It's never too late to be who you might have been." I think that even creative individuals some times believe that they have put so many of their artistic eggs in one basket, and therefore tend not to explore other realms of creativity. That's not to say that a singer might not try out acting, or an actor might not try out drawing. I just think people need to realize that there is always time and room to improve.

5. "Foundation: Build On Your Strengths"...
It probably seems odd that I chose this as one of my favorite of Rendall's points, as it seems to directly contradict the last point that both Rendall and I made. Despite this, I believe that honing ones true, inherent talents is extremely important. I'm just saying while someone hones a skill they know they have, they should keep an open mind to other creative outlets. This is especially true for the creative industry, in that there is much trans-media such that talents in one field can aid an artist in another field.

6. "Freak: The Power Of Uniqueness"...
I think many people starting in the creative industry focus too much on what has worked in the past, and not enough on what they truly want to say/create. If what they want to say/create is unique, then that is all the more reason to test the waters. Vampires weren't popular three years ago. Now they are because of one book, not because of all of the books that came after it. No one will remember the knock-ooff "Teenage Vampire Diary" type of stuff; they will remember the forerunner, Twilight itself. Though this may seem like a goofy example, it is clear evidence that a mix of the past and one's own unique ideas can be successful.

QUESTION:
"What have you found your strengths and weaknesses to be (as far as "the creative process" is concerned)?"

ANSWER:
As far as strengths, I think that my determination, will, and natural talent are some of my greatest assets. These go hand in hand with an ability to communicate with others and get the ideas that I have across. As far as weaknesses, I believe that I often spend too much time on the logistics of a project, rather than purely on what I am trying to create. I hope that as I continue on this path I get better at finding ways to manifest my original ideas, while being willing to see them change along the way.

JAC...

No comments:

Post a Comment